Frequently Asked Questions
When? PIV2017 will run from 19 January to 29 January 2017 in Perth, Western Australia.
Where? Perth, of course! (or the Swan River Colony for those from c.1830 A.D)
No, seriously, what music? For the concert, the programme will feature:
Puccini – Messa
Celebrated as one of the greatest opera composers (including La Bohème, Tosca and Madama Butterfly), Giacomo Puccini’s Messa was composed as a graduation exercise at the Pacini School of Music when he was only 21. He found inspiration for the work from a viewing a performance of Verdi’s Aida
The mass had its first performance in 1880 but was not performed again until 1952. Many of the themes from the mass have found their way into his operas such as Manon Lescaut and Edgar.
We will also be featuring:
- Brahms – Drie Motetten, Op 110
- Ich aber bin elend
- Ach, arme Welt
- Wenn wir in höchsten Nöten sein
- Bruckner – Locus Iste
- Javier Busto – Ave Maria
- Rachmaninoff – Bogoroditse Devo
- Stravinsky – Ave Maria
- Victoria – Ave Maria
This concert will occur on the evening of Saturday, 28 January 2017 at the Government House Ballroom.
- When do I need to be in Perth by? A rehearsal is planned for the first night of camp. Whilst we don’t have a confirmed schedule as yet, based on past festivals this rehearsal will likely start at 7pm on the Friday. As our timelines confirm, we will update our Calendar.
- What do I need to bring with me? Once you’ve registered for PIV, you may find yourself wondering just what, specifically, you need to bring along with you. You can find out on the Necessities page (also accessible from the menu).
- When does the festival finish? The last scheduled activities of the festival occur on 29th January. Depending on flights, registrants may end up flying out on the 29th or later. The idea is for Sunday to be a low key, chilled out day to recover from the excitement of the rest of IV. We’ll still help you with transport (for all reasonable requests) regardless of the time of day.
- What about after IV? Currently there are no plans. Feel free to organise your own plans though.
- Who? See the committee page for more information on the wonderful group of people charged with organising and running this event.
- Why? Forty-two.
- This website isn’t totally finished, is it? Inasmuch as any website is ever finished…We’ll certainly continue to add and update information on the site as the countdown to PIV2017 progresses, and we’ll announce widely if we make any major updates.
- Why aren’t there any real questions here, like…? Because nobody’s really asked any yet. However, now that you’ve read this, if you do have one or more questions, please contact the webmaster (mark) or one of the other committee members and I/we will add the question (and, hopefully, an answer) to this list.